Something I Tried: Tofu Shirataki noodles

I've tried these tofu yam noodles a while back, but I don't think I reviewed them then. I recently picked up a bag (from the refrigerated section at my Whole Foods) because I was looking for a lighter option for dinner (since I can totally eat a whole box of spaghetti). I prepared these noodles with Trader Joe's meatless meatballs, mushrooms and marinara sauce (and sprinkled some parmesan nooch on top). The dish was tasty, but you probably should not have the expectation that these noodles will taste or have a texture like traditional pasta. The taste wasn't very strong, and the noodles didn't soak in the sauce, so they sort of remained tasteless.  The pros: they have the shape of spaghetti, are very easy to prepare (just 2-3 minutes in boiling water), and have only 20 calories per 8 oz (so if it turns out you like them, it could be a light option once in a while). I also got a bag of thick noodles that I'd like to make a stir-fry dish with soy sauce...I'll report back on that!

Comments